Thursday, November 8, 2012

Obama 2016 is Coming!

I was watching my computer screen the second Fox News changed the map of OH to blue. The way things were going that night, I was not as hopeful as I had been earlier in the day. Shocked, to say the least, then depressed, then scared- I mean, scared out of my mind for where this country is heading. That is my personality though, to turn to fear automatically. God is delivering me from it slowly. :) I have been listening to this incredibly timely song over & over.
(The video on the story behind the song is also really good.)
 
While I desire God to take away my fear, wisdom will require that concern for our country remains. What happened? What could possibly be the explanaition for the election results? We no longer have the excuse we had 4 years ago of not really knowing the man. I am not as upset that Obama has 4 more years as I am that more than 50% of the people in this country are the kind of people who would vote for him. 
 
Three kinds of people voted for Obama...
1- The people who know exactly who he is and what he's about and completely agree with his worldview, strategies, and goals for (really against) this country. These are smart, well-informed people with a worldview so different from you or I, it's scary. They purposefully want to bankrupt this country, so that we'll be forced into soliacism or something worse. These people make up a VERY small percentage of those who voted for Obama.
2- Then you have those, mostly young, mostly women (although increasingly not so), who voted their immature, pop culture, popularity seeking, feelings. You could also include in this group those who voted for him because he's black, and they're perhaps not so immature as they are just simply racist. One girl on Facebook commented, "There's just something about Romney's face and smirk I don't like. I don't know if I could handle hearing his voice for 4 years either." Obama's good looking, charismatic, sarcastic, and confident- all qualities that Gen Y'ers really take to. These people don't look deeper; they don't even know his policies.
3- Then you have the largest group who are just uneducated and misinformed. Or perhaps I should say mis-educated, because some of them are very "educated" in the worldly sense. They do not know or understand history. They've been educated by the public school system's revisionist history. They know very little of the Constition. And HOW can you vote for a good leader for this country unless you know what they're supposed to be like, which is found in the Constitution? These are the people that think the Democrat party is for helping the poor. This group is also full of poor people who simply don't know, because they've never been taught, that more government involvement in thier lives really will dig their pit deeper and NOT help them out! I, first and foremost, blame the public schools for the mindset of this group. According to exit polling, 6 million "evangelical Christians" voted for Obama. I blame pastors, mostly, for this number, who are so scared to touch politics, that they won't teach what the Bible has to say about government and how a country should be set up. (Most of them don't even know themselves.)
 
But there is something else at work. No society is perfect. God has blessed this country because it was founded on Christian values and on the Bible, but we live in a fallen world. This quote from Alexis de Tocqueville, a French historian who traveled to the US in the 1800's and wrote about our life here, sums up what's happening and what will happen. This is what happened to Rome- not just the fiscal irresponsibility but the moral collapse as well.
 
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse (Liberality in bestowing gifts) from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.” ― Alexis de Tocqueville
 
I'm sickened and sad for our country. I'm not too good at making predictions, and I hope many of mine are wrong, but one thing I do think will happen is that we'll see a clearer dividing line between Christians and non-Christians. Not in the sense that Christianity will pull away and hate the world, but that those who are nominal Christians will sell out, and those who are real will become so much more commited. More predictions and where to go from here in a later post, perhaps.... (or maybe you could tell me! ;) )
 
 
Oh, and here's a link to the movie if you haven't seen it...

And an interview with the filmmaker...

No comments: